Sunday, July 26, 2009

Jazz hands...

I LOVE Show Choir!! I never knew how much fun show choir could be until my kids got involved in it! Our kids come from a long history of family being in show choirs at Bonita Vista High School. Pat's sister Helen, was in the very first Music Machine (the boys and girls group). Pat's brother Mike was also in the Music Machine and Pat was in Music Machine!! My kids have grown up hearing about Music Machine and wanting to be in it!! Every year our little town of Bonita has a big festival called the "Bonita Fest". Music Machine and Sound Unlimited (the all girls group) do a big performance there. My kids have always LOVED watching it! As little children they would watch and admire the kids in the groups.

If you don't know what "show choir" is I will give you a brief description...it is a group of boys and/or girls doing choreography while singing. Out show choirs travel all around Southern California to competitions, which are called "Festivals". At these festivals, each group performs their "set" to be critiqued by a panel of judges. A "set" is the group of songs that each choir sings. The costumes, singing, dancing, and even the stage decorations are amazing!! The sets are like mini-musicals. They are soooo fun to watch!!

Well, so far, 3 of 7 kids have been in or are in Music Machine or Sound Unlimited. We would love it if all 7 of them ended up being in show choir! Every year the groups go on tour somewhere and usually participate in a National competition. We have been to New York City, New York, Austria, the Czech Republic, Nashville Tennessee, and this last year we went to Florida! Both groups did really well!! Emily's group, Sound Unlimited took 1st. place in the Women's Division and Patrick's group, Music Machine took 2nd. place in the Mixed Division.....at a National Competition!!! Whaaahoooo!

These pictures are of Emily with Sound Unlimited doing their "set" for the competition in Florida! Emily really loved being in Sound Unlimited this last year!! She auditioned and was selected to be in Music Machine for her sophomore year. She is very excited to be in Machine but she will really miss being with all the girls in Sound!!

These are pictures of Patrick in Music Machine. I love that Patrick is such a well rounded kid!! He is an athlete who plays football and baseball, but is also in the show choir! I LOVE it!! Patrick has been working hard to learn the guitar. In the picture below he accompanied a friend who was performing. He also sang some harmony on the song. He has taught himself this song and many others!

By the way...the song "Purple Summer" that is playing on my playlist is one of the songs that Music Machine did in their set this year. It was my favorite song in their set...the harmonies in the song are really beautiful and the way they perfromed it was really touching!!

4 comments:

Stonez said...

So fun Hadley!! Wouldn't Chuck Hawley have been great in a show choir?? ;) I think those look like sooo much fun, I wish our area had one. Your kids are stinkin cute little lady!!

Where did you get the blinking Families are Forever and how do you post those? I love it and I want to put one on my blog but haven't had luck figuring it out :( I'm still a newbie. Help me wiser one ;)

moliver said...

Yay Sound! Hey Hadley, I check out your blog every once in a while and I had to comment on this one. I had so much fun in Sound Unlimited, this post brought back some good memories. That's awesome that Emily is going to be in Machine. It's been since Cory was a freshman since I've seen a show, I really need to see them perform again. Your kids are so talented. Good job!
~Michelle

The McMackin's said...

Yay for Music Machine! Show choir is the best! I love that Purple Summer song! I've never heard it before... It is beautiful... I wonder if we could get the Primary Kids to sing it? ;o) (J/K)

Melody said...

I'm a Music Machine REJECT...does that count? :) The story is that Jackie (who I always knew was very very very talented) was too shy to try out her freshman year, so I told her if I tried out, would she follow, so we did. I made it all the way to the last rounds before getting cut, then spent the next four years going to EVERY performance, working every summer at Coors Amphitheater to fundraise,and NEVER, not even once go on one of their cool trips. Oh well, but I still LOVE show choirs, lol!

Have you seen the show GLEE? It's a must watch if you're into the show choir thing!