Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Ultrasound pictures of baby...



i thought i would post these ultrasound pitures for you to see. They are both looking at the side view of the baby as he is looking up. The first one looks like he is sucking his thumb. the other you can see a view of his head and tummy! pat and the kids are soooo excited. they touch my tummy constantly to see if they can feel the baby kick. my neice colleen is always touching and rubbing my tummy when she sees me...she is so sweet!

we had a little scare a couple of weeks ago when i went in to see my new doctor and she found two large cysts (CPC's), one on each side of the baby's brain. i left dr. stanco's office in tears and called pat and told him that she had told me the baby might have trisomy 18. i also called my sister-in-law, andrea and bawled for 10 minutes and she started looking on the internet to see what she could find out. after talking to her and looking on the internet myself, i was much less worried. these cysts or CPC's as they call them, are actually quite common. dr stanco still wanted me to come the very next day and have a level 2 ultrasound and an amniocentisis.

so pat and i went to her office the next day and met with a genetic counselor and then had the ultrasound and amnio. the ultrasound looked great!! there were no other markers found that would lead them to believe that it was trisomy 18. the heart, liver, kidneys, and other organs looked perfect. i had the amnio anyway, which i was pretty nervous about. i had had an amnio once before and they numbed my tummy with a local anesthetic, but dr. stanco said, "here we go," and just stuck the 5 inch needle in my tummy. an amnio feels really odd, you can feel the needle pucture the amniotic sac. ewww!

we got the results back from the amnio and everything was negetive. no trisomy 18, no spina bifida or down syndrome. we were so relieved to know that he did not have trisomy 18!! my heart goes out to others who don't receive the good news that we did!

so, i am now almost 5 1/2 months (on sunday) and everything is looking great so far. i am feeling a lot better. no more nausea and very limited gagging these days.....hooray!!! i will keep you updated...maybe i'll even be brave enough to post a picture of me!!
we are thinking about naming the baby michael kenneth...(after pat's brother and my grandpa folkman, who's first name was kenneth.) what do you think??

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I love the pictures! I am so glad that things are looking good. Now you just need to post some pictures of your new house so us, out of towners, can see it.